[IPython-user] Re: windows 2000 can't find ipythonrc.ini for anything.

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Tue Feb 1 17:17:39 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 10:29 -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:

> > Perhaps ipython could be a bit more verbose about failed config file
> > parsing...
> >
> > I'll try to look into this.
>
> Well, I know you mentioned this to me before, but the funny thing is, I failed
> to reproduce the problem.  I edited the .ini files _in_ winxp, both using
> notepad and using pythonwin, and all changes I made were recognized.

With mixed feelings, I have to admit that I couldn't reproduce the
problem anymore either :-). It must have been a glitch in my
personal .ini files, which must have been "damaged" by some program I
had used to edit them, or a peculiar coincidence with the .ini files of
an old IPython version that was around. One factor might be that I have
w2k at work and wXP at home, which I only use *very* reluctantly - I
just installed Python there to explore the problemm.

However, there is still an issue that might be worth looking after - the
user doesn't get to know whether the config files failed to parse. When
I edited the pysh config file, I was not notified about any errors - I
was just throw to a non-pysh session.

> windows-specific issues than I do.  If you can spot what the actual problem
> is, by all means let me know and I'll do what I can to fix it.

I'll see whether I can find a time slot to find whatever might be wrong
in my work system, which still exhibits the anomaly. For educational
value if nothing else.