[IPython-user] Re: windows 2000 can't find ipythonrc.ini for anything.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 1 17:32:05 CST 2005

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 10:29 -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>>Perhaps ipython could be a bit more verbose about failed config file
>>>parsing...
>>>
>>>I'll try to look into this.
>>
>>Well, I know you mentioned this to me before, but the funny thing is, I failed
>>to reproduce the problem.  I edited the .ini files _in_ winxp, both using
>>notepad and using pythonwin, and all changes I made were recognized.
>

> With mixed feelings, I have to admit that I couldn't reproduce the
> problem anymore either :-). It must have been a glitch in my
> personal .ini files, which must have been "damaged" by some program I
> had used to edit them, or a peculiar coincidence with the .ini files of
> an old IPython version that was around. One factor might be that I have
> w2k at work and wXP at home, which I only use *very* reluctantly - I
> just installed Python there to explore the problemm.
>
> However, there is still an issue that might be worth looking after - the
> user doesn't get to know whether the config files failed to parse. When
> I edited the pysh config file, I was not notified about any errors - I
> was just throw to a non-pysh session.

It's true that better reporting here would be good.  OTOH, that _whole_
subsystem is about to get ripped out, replaced by plain python files for
ipython config.  So I'm quite reluctant to spend much time on it.  If you an
find an obvious place for a decent error message, let me know and I'll gladly
add it.

But I'm not willing to make any major efforts on something which is already
strapped to the guillotine.