[IPython-user] readline woes on win32

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:53:16 CST 2005

John Hunter wrote:
> I am trying t get ipython on windows XP working (actually helping
> someone over the phone).  I sent them a zip file with

[...]

> And I had him open up a shell and do import readline / dir(readline) and
> there were only a few symbols (like __name__ and __file__ but not
> set_completer).
>
> Here is where it gets interesting.  When on the same machine ipython
> is run as Administrator, it works, and when they do the import / dir
> scenario above, the get all the symbols

Is this something that ipython can fix?  I have no idea how the Administrator
thing has an effect on the loaded symbols.  Under *nix, if you get read access
to the files you get all the symbols, otherwise you simply can't get to the
files at all.  I'm sorry, but this is _way_ beyond my primitive win32
understanding.

If you find anything I need to change in ipython to help with this in the
future, please let me know.

best,