[IPython-user] embedding a shell in gtk app

Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 9 01:50:07 CST 2005

Quoting John Hunter <jdhunter at nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu>:

>     Fernando> OK, I hate to say this, but with all the matshow() work,
>     Fernando> I'm badly behind on other things and I won't be able to
>     Fernando> dive into this til later.  Esp. because this may take
>     Fernando> some careful work for a permanent solution.  But in the
>     Fernando> meantime, I can offer some pointers to get you started.
>
> I'll attach the shell I'm currently using.  It's a poorman's shell,
> but it works, I wonder if we could use this as the basis for plugging
> ipython into a gtk window.  I've extended what I'm attaching here
> marginally to pass a local namespace to the underlying
> InteractiveConsole.

OK, I played a little bit with this shell, and at least I can see it working.
It's small enough that I can wrap my head around it, and I'll use this as the
first target for gui integration.  Pretty much any gui shell presents the same
basic problems for ipython, namely I/O abstraction and color control.  I
suspect that once I get it to work with yours, pycrust, IDLE and others will
follow naturally.

I'm releasing 0.6.11 soon b/c I found a nasty crash in the object inspector (and
it has already showed up in a user crash report).

Once the dust settles, perhaps we can work a bit on the config system changes,
which will be the major incompatible change.  I want to do that as early as
possible in the new process, so that users are over the pain quickly and we can
settle on a stable ipython API for customizations, magic defnitions, etc.