[IPython-user] two feature ideas

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Thu Feb 10 10:59:24 CST 2005

John Hunter <jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu> writes:

> 2) Is it possible for ipython not to block on an edit command.  Eg, if
>    I dump a data file in ipython and am using emacsclient to feed data
>    to my running emacs session in X,  I would like to be able to send
>    the data file to emacs with
>
>    >>> edit 'somefile.dat'
>
>    and not have it block my ipython session (and my gtk app I'm
>    running under gthread)

I just use the following (if you add an if instance(object, basestring):... it'll
do what you want, I think):

# in ipythonrc
import_all ipythonrc_real

# amongst other things in ipythonrc_real:
_EDITOR=os.getenv("EDITOR")
def ed(object,editor=_EDITOR):
    """Start up an editor to edit the source code associated with a certain
    python object (XXX assumes editor that takes +lineno switch)."""

    lineN = inspect.getsourcelines(object)[1]
    filename = inspect.getsourcefile(object)
    os.system("%(editor)s +%(lineN)s %(filename)s&" % locals())

'as