[IPython-user] two feature ideas

Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Feb 10 21:32:20 CST 2005

Quoting John Hunter <jdhunter at nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu>:

> I'm giving a talk tonight on mpl to the chicago python group, so am
> pretty tied up in getting the talk ready, so I can't test this or the
> installer until tomorrow ....  I'll let you know..

No need to bother with the install.  I got the win32 laptop back from the shop
(new screen), and I just tested.  It works!  This means the bug was in the way
python 2.3.4 was making the post-install script, which somehow was clashing
with py2.4.  Anyway, we're good.

I am really quite hesitant to make %edit more complicated than it already is,
given that Alex's 3-liner (or a simple !emacs foo &) seems to do just fine.
The whole point of %edit is to link code editing tightly to ipython's
input/eval loop, compensating for the lack of true multi-line editing in a
reasonably convenient way.  But I'm afraid that messing with that function I'll
just add in a subtle bug, for no real benefit.

Instead of giving you this feature, I'll heed your advice and add some warnings
about threading pitfalls in the manual.  Next time we may not be so lucky as
this morning.

So wait for 0.6.11 by tomorrow...