[IPython-user] tab completion on OSX

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Feb 11 11:07:32 CST 2005

John Hunter wrote:

>     Fernando> Test this patch, which I haven't applied yet.  If it
>     Fernando> works for you, it will sneak in for 0.6.11.
>
> It doesn't seem to help; indeed when I was trying to play around in
> there, file_matches doesn't seem to be called at all??
>
> Eg, If I simply insert a raise in that function, complete works as
> usual and print statements in there have no result.

Huh?  Raises are ignored, since I don't want exceptions to cause noise at the
tab-completion line.  But a print statement should definitely show up:

planck[~]> ip

In [1]: cd ip<Matching filenames>

ipalias   ipmagic   ipython/

where I added right before the return:

             print "<Matching filenames>"  # dbg
             return [f.rstrip() for f in matches]

You don't see this?  If so, I'll have to investigate directly on OSX myself,
but not until tonight when I'm back home and I can borrow my wife's Powerbook.
  I don't have any OSX boxes here.  If you figure it out in the meantime, drop
me a line.

Best,