[IPython-user] tab completion on OSX

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Feb 11 11:24:43 CST 2005

John Hunter wrote:

>     Fernando> Huh?  Raises are ignored, since I don't want exceptions
>     Fernando> to cause noise at the tab-completion line.  But a print
>     Fernando> statement should definitely show up:
>
> OK, I'm a moron.  I was editing the file on my linux box and testing
> over ssh on my powerbook.  Duh!!!
>
> OK, the print does work.  The spaces are not in the fnames returned by
> file_matches, even before the rstrip
>
>             print 'matches', matches
>             return [f.rstrip() for f in matches]
>
> Something downstream from that...

Well, downstream we have the complete() call.  Try changing the return section
  to:

                 try:
                     print 'comp:<%s>' %
self.matches[state].replace(magic_prefix,magic_escape)
                     return self.matches[state].replace(magic_prefix,magic_escape)
                 except IndexError:
                     return None

And see how that fares.  Use this bracketed <%s> print to make sure you see
_exactly_ what is being returned, with specifically marked endpoints.