[IPython-user] completion

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:40:57 CST 2005

I am using the insight toolkit, which is a C++ library with a python
wrapper.  I find that for certain instances, class methods are
available by dir but nothing shows up on tab completion.  My get is
that there is some getattr magic under the hood that explains this...

Is there any way to extend ipython's completion namespace so that it
incorporates the information from dir?  Where does ipython get the
completion namespace from

>>> reader = itk.itkImageFileReaderF2_New()
>>> reader.<TAB><TAB><TAB>  reveals nothing
>>> len(dir(reader))
87

Thanks!
JDH