[IPython-user] IPython readline foreign keyboards (belgian) and win32 platform

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Wed Feb 23 14:54:28 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 18:56 +0100, Vivian De Smedt wrote:

>To solve the second I slightly change the Gary Bishop's readline library
>such that both Ctrl+D and Ctrl+Z on empty lines translate into quiting
>the prompt.

FWIW, "Exit" quits IPython as well. In fact, Ctrl+D (or Ctrl+Z, or
whatever) are quite redundat because you need to answer to "Do you
really want to exit ([y]/n)?" prompt anyway. And where's the rush in
quitting ipython, most would probably want to keep the ipython prompt
around for a while anyway.

>3. Classic Windows binding.
>
>By default the Gary Bishop's readline library come with vi/emacs like
>binding which is nice. But windows user could want to be able to
>customize these binding through the .inputrc file or maybe to switch
>from one type of binding to an another (I forseen three kind, emacs, vi,
>windows).

>From 'import this':

"There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it"

Of course it would be groovy to have the windows readline resemble the
original readline as much as possible, but someone might say that
unnecessary configurability is just that, unnecessary configurability.
World would be better place if vi bindings for shell just died - "press
esc twice to complete", anyone ;-)? Windows bindings are also
questionable - are there really people who prefer the way cmd.exe does
the editing? A big part of the attraction of IPython for me is the fact
that it feels almost like I was on a unix system. Windows is not
something you want, it's something you just have to tolerate.

>The Gary's implementation come only with the emacs binding. I made
>change in the library to have three binding and key combinasion to be
>able to switch from one to the other.

Probably a valuable addition to the module, without doubt, regardless of
my unability to understand the perversions of people with different
preferences :-).