[IPython-user] color with ipython inside emacs

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Sat Jan 1 07:14:18 CST 2005

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

> Hmm, ipython was still run when I tried `C-c C-c'.

Hmm -- seems to work for me (as I said I haven't tested it much -- but did you
restart emacs?)

> But instead of this, I wonder if it would make more sense to start py-shell
> automatically when `C-c C-c' is hit, to get interactive behaviour?

I thought about that first, but there are 2 reasons against:

a) I couldn't get it to work within 5 minutes
b) It doesn't provide any additional functionality whereas running python
   instead does -- e.g. it's potentially convenient for quickly running
   doctests wich won't work under ipython

> But I don't have enough experience with ipython.el/python-mode.el to
> know.  Because of the problems I had when I first tried it months ago,
> I usually just run ipython in an xterm.

The best reason I can think of not to do that is that you no longer get the
debugging integration (emacs opening the right file at the right line as you
jump up and down the stack trace is IMO pretty handy; also I like to do
things like isearch and copy stuff from the interactive shell output).

'as