[IPython-user] Completion in non-interactive windows (NOT a Windows question!)

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Jan 1 12:15:53 CST 2005

I realise this is not strictly an IPython issue, but does anyone here know
of any work on completion of Python code in editor windows rather than in
interactive shells?

Existing work seems to fall short of what I'd like:

- IPython's completion only addresses interactive shells.

- I have a feeling that Pythonwin also only does completion in interactive
  shells.  (True?)

- pycomplete.py (part of the emacs python-mode project) addresses module
  and class attributes only.

I haven't yet experimented, so don't really know what is really useful and
what is merely nice to have, but I think I want to be able to complete
instance attributes and locals.

There are generic features such as etags and emacs' dabbrev-mode which
simply complete on the basis of (for example) all "words" or "tokens" in
the current file, or all words in a static list (possibly built
automatically).  These schemes aren't the same as having smart dynamic
completion, of course.

So, have any IDE or editor hackers attempted the task -- which seems a
hard problem, of course -- of useful (thought doubtless imperfect)
completion of Python instance attributes and locals in non-interactive
editor windows?

(The commercial Visual Studio thingy from ActiveState has some kind of
completion, but that's no use to me (I want something libre).  Would be
interesting to know whether it does instance atts / locals usefully,
though.)

Many TIA for any thoughts or pointers

John