[IPython-user] Completion in non-interactive windows (NOT a Windows question!)

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Jan 1 14:03:19 CST 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, John J Lee wrote:

> I realise this is not strictly an IPython issue, but does anyone here know
> of any work on completion of Python code in editor windows rather than in
> interactive shells?
>
> Existing work seems to fall short of what I'd like:
[...]
> - pycomplete.py (part of the emacs python-mode project) addresses module
>   and class attributes only.

Googling further, I see pydev.sf.net (for Eclipse) does completion on
self.  Seems like a clever (because relatively easy to implement) and
useful idea.  Too bad I don't know elisp to implement it in the
python-mode code...

Bah, I miss type inference here more than for code correctness.

TruStudio's open source version of it's Eclipse-based product (CPL -- not
GPL compatible :-(( ) claims to do clever completion and has Python
support.  Haven't tried it yet, will report back.

John