[IPython-user] color with ipython inside emacs

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Tue Jan 4 08:58:57 CST 2005

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

> Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck at gmx.net> writes:
>
>> Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:
>>
>>> Hmm, ipython was still run when I tried `C-c C-c'.
>>
>> Hmm -- seems to work for me (as I said I haven't tested it much -- but did
>> you restart emacs?)
>
> Ahh, it works with the version of python-mode.el that you use (4.20) but
> not with the version I use (4.69, attached below)...

Urgh. But don't expect anything to be done about it anytime soon since it is
hardly a major feature and since I personally don't use 4.69 (because when I
tried it I got the (possibly wrong) impression that it was somewhat broken (I
experienced problems with filladapt) and offered no significant advantage) and
I don't have spare time to sink into this.

>>> Because of the problems I had when I first tried it months ago,
>>> I usually just run ipython in an xterm.
>>
>> The best reason I can think of not to do that is that you no longer get the
>> debugging integration (emacs opening the right file at the right line as you
>> jump up and down the stack trace is IMO pretty handy; also I like to do
>> things like isearch and copy stuff from the interactive shell output).
>
> I agree that running it within emacs is better.  Thanks for providing
> ipython.el!  How do you get the stack trace behaviour you describe?

Turning ``@pdb on`` in ipython should be enough.

'as