[IPython-user] Completion in non-interactive windows (NOT a Windows question!)

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Jan 6 11:41:22 CST 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, John J Lee wrote:

> > I realise this is not strictly an IPython issue, but does anyone here know
> > of any work on completion of Python code in editor windows rather than in
> > interactive shells?
> >
> > Existing work seems to fall short of what I'd like:
> [...]
> > - pycomplete.py (part of the emacs python-mode project) addresses module
> >   and class attributes only.
>
> Googling further, I see pydev.sf.net (for Eclipse) does completion on
[...]
> TruStudio's open source version of it's Eclipse-based product (CPL -- not
> GPL compatible :-(( ) claims to do clever completion and has Python
> support.  Haven't tried it yet, will report back.
[...]

OK, seems Pythonwin *does* do completion in non-interactive mode.

Tried Trustudio, and was unable to get completion working.  It also hung
on me when trying to do something very simple.

So (switching back to my personal viewpoint) I guess the easiest route to
"smart" completion in emacs would be to borrow from Pythonwin, and extend
the basic framework already in python-mode (which uses pymacs).

John