[IPython-user] Trouble with Win2K install

Dave Merrill dmerrill at usa.net
Sat Jan 8 10:40:51 CST 2005

I'm new to python, and ipython, but not to programming, having trouble
getting ipython installed on windows 2000, python 233. Any help would be
much appreciated; I'm sure I'm being some basic flavor of dense...

First downloaded and installed PythonWin, readline and ctypes. They're all
pretty clearly here and working, because I can run PythonWin, and from
there, importing readline and ctypes works.

Then downloaded ipython-0.6.6.zip and unzipped it. When I double-click
setup.py, I get only a brief wait cursor; nothing else happens, and
importing ipython as a test fails.

I tried moving the whole unzipped dir to site-packages, no difference.

Both files in the scripts dir, ipython and pycolor, have no filename
extension, which seems odd to my newbie eye. I tried renaming them to .py,
still no difference.

My apologies for this basic question, and my no-doubt-ignorant flailing
about. Very much looking forward to getting this working.

Thanks,

Dave Merrill