[IPython-user] "Bus error" on Mac OS X

Hans Fangohr H.FANGOHR at soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 14:46:57 CDT 2005

Hi Fernando,

> > Hi Andrea and others,
> >
> > just for the record the error description first (and again): When I start
> > IPython and issue a simple command, I get an IPython (or Python) crash,
> > and a 'Bus Error' is reported (see earlier email).
> >
> > ----------------------------------
> > In [1]: 1+1
> > Bus error
> > ----------------------------------
>
> since fink is debian-based, I'm going to guess this is related to this other
> recently reported problem, which turned out to be a debian bug:

I think you are spot on. If I run Python (not ipython) and issue the
following commands (taken from the bugreport), the python interpreter
crashes:

import readline
readline.set_history_length(1000)
print raw_input('crash> ')

I suppose that should not happen. I'll now try to communicate this to the
Fink team...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Hans