[IPython-user] Killing a hung program

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 1 17:33:21 CDT 2005

Joshua C Gilbert wrote:

> The pysh profile is a system shell. Thus, you are competing with bash, for my
> usage at least.

well, what I mean by that is that I'm not going to spend _my_ resources into
hard-core shell support.  There are other directions of ipython's evolution
which interest me much more.

> I'm interested in ipython becoming a very real competitor to bash (I hate
> tcsh). Can you list what you see as currently missing?

Signal handling is the big one, so you can background tasks easily.  I'd also
argue that a shell should be absolutely bullet-proof (I've never seen tcsh
crash in over 10 years of using it).  Ipython, while fairly stable, certainly
doesn't come anywhere close to that kind of reliability.  If I tout it as a
'bash replacement', people would (rightfully) expect near-100% uptime from it,
which I doubt I can provide.

> I'm a Debian user. What is so non-portable about signal catching in Python?
> The standard library signal has always worked for me. What am I missing?

Signal handling across operating systems is notoriously finicky.  IPython has
win32 and osx users as well as in other traditional unices.  There are many
posts by Tim Peters on the subject of signal handling and platforms, where he
  states in no uncertain terms that python's signal capabilities aren't
necessarily ideal across multiple OSes.  It might be that what's there is
enough though, I simply haven't tried to provide full signal trapping and
proper handling to see what would break under win32.