[IPython-user] how to repeating/copying multiple lines of code with IPython?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 6 11:19:00 CDT 2005

Roman Bischoff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How can I copy a whole block (multiple lines of code) with IPython?
> (as one can do with IDLE and PythonWin just by just hitting enter on the
> selected line.)

ipython is line-oriented, so it doesn't really have this kind of capability,
unfortunately.  Some of the magics can be used to get to this information,
though.  Look them up by using 'cmd?', the ones you may find useful are
'macro', 'history' and 'edit'.  Depending on exactly what you need, one or
more of those should help.

> So far I couldn't find IPython FAQ somewhere.
> Do FAQs exist for IPython? (if so, where can I find it?)

There isn't really a faq per se, though I try to put stuff asked by users in
the manual.

Best,