[IPython-user] Re: Re[2]: IPython not reloading file under Win2000

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 15 11:19:25 CDT 2005

Mark Lawrence wrote:

>>def get_home_dir():
>>    """Return the closest possible equivalent to a 'home' directory.
>>
>>    We first try $HOME.  Absent that, on NT it's $HOMEDRIVE\$HOMEPATH.
>>
>>    Currently only Posix and NT are implemented, a HomeDirError exception
>>is
>>    raised for all other OSes. """
>>
>>    try:
>>        return os.environ['HOME']
>

> I have seen problems on Windows similar to this with other Python programs
> when a home environment variable has been defined, e.g. as recommended by
> Cygwin.  Could this be your problem here?

Mmh, that's possible.  I try to return $HOME b/c it seems like a sensible,
cross platform approach, but I'm not aware of what nasties that can trigger.
Any guidance from the win32 gurus will be much appreciated: I'll follow
blindly any sufficiently coherent-sounding advice, so if you word it carefully
enough, you can get me to jump off one of the many cliffs in win32 quite easily :)