[IPython-user] Re: Re: Re[2]: IPython not reloading file under Win2000

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at aol.com
Mon Jul 18 12:03:15 CDT 2005

"Fernando Perez" <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote in message
news:42D7E20D.2090301 at colorado.edu...
> Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
>>>def get_home_dir():
>>>    """Return the closest possible equivalent to a 'home' directory.
>>>
>>>    We first try $HOME.  Absent that, on NT it's $HOMEDRIVE\$HOMEPATH.
>>>
>>>    Currently only Posix and NT are implemented, a HomeDirError exception
>>> is
>>>    raised for all other OSes. """
>>>
>>>    try:
>>>        return os.environ['HOME']
>>

>> I have seen problems on Windows similar to this with other Python
>> programs when a home environment variable has been defined, e.g. as
>> recommended by Cygwin.  Could this be your problem here?
>
> Mmh, that's possible.  I try to return $HOME b/c it seems like a sensible,
> cross platform approach, but I'm not aware of what nasties that can
> trigger. Any guidance from the win32 gurus will be much appreciated: I'll
> follow blindly any sufficiently coherent-sounding advice, so if you word
> it carefully enough, you can get me to jump off one of the many cliffs in
> win32 quite easily :)
>
> Cheers,

Sorry if this is a repost, but I figured I'd sent a response over the
weekend.

I remembered that the problem I found was with Pythoncard.  Googling led me
to the Pythoncard file configuration.py which gives the strategy and the
code to find the home directory, so a look at that should lead to a
solution.  BTW, I'm not a win32 guru, VMS rules!

HTH.

Mark Lawrence.