[Fwd] Re: [IPython-user] Re[2]: IPython install under Win2000

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:49:36 CDT 2005

> That being said, I have *never* seen *any* environment variables that
> need re-expanding. In fact one cannot set any environment variable to
> a macro (I.E. %anothername%) from the command line or a batch file
> because the macro will be expanded before assigning the environment
> variable.  That would be possible only from a program.  I would
> consider that an aberration and any program that does not play by the
> same unwritten rules as everyone else.

It can be done through the control panel (system settings/advanced
settings/environment variables or something akin to that, can't
remember exactly). And it does happen, I'm almost certain my work
computer has such things in place. It's in the PATH environment
variable I think.

It's not even too horrible an idea IMHO, M$FT has had worse ;-).