[IPython-user]: IPython install under Win2000

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jul 19 12:06:31 CDT 2005

Jerry McRae wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> You <F> wrote on Monday (7/18/2005 at 9:57 PM) thus about [IPython-user]: IPython install under Win2000:
>
> F> It's little more than $HOME, and I very much doubt that it's of a whole lot of
> F> use under win32, given that if $HOME is undefined, it goes to pwd.getpwuid:
>
> Actually, it seems to work perfectly in win32.  It returns the
> HOMEDRIVE+HOMEPATH, just as you want.  One can set HOME properly and
> it will return that instead.  I just verified this on WinXP.  I think
> Alan has a point.  If this works on Mac and Linux, then it might be
> worth using the built in function.

I'm going to leave it as is for now: that pwd.getpwuid() call worries me.  I
trust you that in winXP it works (python must do something fancy, b/c winxp
doesnt' have a real /etc/passwd file to read).  But I  still worry that it
will break perhaps for win2k or win98 users.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and all that.  The current code fixes the
nasty failure case of $HOME==%FOO%, so for now I'll call this one done.