[IPython-user] (newbie) Can an embedded ipython propegate changes to the caller?

ipython-user at barillari.org ipython-user at barillari.org
Sun Jul 24 16:22:26 CDT 2005

Hi,

I'm curious if there's an easy way to hack ipython so that an embedded
ipython interpreter _can_ make changes to the calling frame --- in other
words, circumventing the "any changes you make to
values while in the shell do not propagate back to the running code" note in the manual.

I imagine this would involve linking rather than copying the caller's namespace in the
in embed_mainloop() (in other words, using local_ns (call_frame.f_locals) directly rather than
copying it into user_ns), but I thought I'd post here before trying that to see if there was
a more elegant solution.

thanks in advance,

--Joe