[IPython-user] Re: <tab> not interpreted on Linux (RH 7.2 2.96-129.7.2)

Ward K Harold wkharold at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:02:57 CDT 2005

Ward Harold wrote:
> Just installed IPython on a linux box. When I hit the <tab> key for completion I
> get the actual <tab> character instead. I'm using ActiveState's 2.41 release of
> Python for linux. I'm suspicious of my stty settings since I had to explicitly
> set 'erase ^h' to make Backspace work properly in IPython.
>
> I love IPython, any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> ... WkH

Doh! Belay that. I wasn't paying attention to the "slash text" that
warns me that "Readline services not available on this platform". Of
course `rpm -qa | grep readline` tells me that readline-4.2-2 is
available on my platform. Is this a problem that can be fixed by hacking
IPython's setup.py or is it likely that ActiveState's Python binaries
aren't built with readline?

Thanks ... WkH