[IPython-user] Need some ipython review for a python-mode patch

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Tue Jun 7 09:09:58 CDT 2005

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     Skip> Can someone who uses ipython via python-mode please take a look at
>     Skip> it and let me know if it's still needed?
>
>     Fernando> I've attached what's left of the patch: it now only contains
>     Fernando> two trivial changes.  It applies cleanly against 4.74:
>
> Thanks Fernando.  Checked in as python-mode.el v 4.75.

Great -- I just had a brief go and it all seems to work perfectly (and I
notice that pdbtrack seems to have seen some cool improvements too --
excellent). As the author of ipython.el and the original patch (which must now
date back almost 3 years) I'm really breathing a sigh of relief now that it
looks like the days of asking people to use a forked/patched version of
python-mode.el for ipython/emacs (and all the hassle and confusiont that
entailed) are finally over.

Thanks a lot for your efforts to integrate ipython support into the official
python-mode.el -- it is much appreciated!

Unfortunately I've got a number of commitments that don't involve any python
hacking over the next couple of days, so I won't have much of a chance to test
everything out in everyday use but since I don't expect real problems I'd
encourage anyone who currently uses older versions of python-mode together
with ipython.el switch to the current cvs version:

<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/python-mode/python-mode/
python-modef.el?rev=4.75>

Should someone, contrary to expectation, encounter any ipython-specific
problems that didn't occur with older patched versions of python-mode.el I'll
try to have a look into them this weekend, to nail this issue once and for
all.

cheers,

'as