[IPython-user] [Fwd] avoid dueling pythons on tiger

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 7 22:33:08 CDT 2005

I've forwarded this, auto-discarded by ipython's list.

Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] avoid dueling pythons on tiger
From: Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:53:00 -0700
To: Jon Schull <jschull at softlock.com>
CC: pythonmac-sig at python.org, visualpython-users at lists.sourceforge.net,
ipython-user at scipy.net

On Jun 6, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Jon Schull wrote:

 >> Please forgive the cross-post.   I think this is a cross group issue.
 >>
 >> I've newly installed Tiger and would like to avoid the dueling
 >> pythons problem that plagued me with 0SX 10.3.  It would be nice to
 >> be running just one python, but I suppose that would be asking too
 >> much?
 >>
 >> I installed Bob's MacPython 2.4.1 from http://undefined.org/python/
 >> Double clicking the apps works fine.  But when I type "python" from
 >> terminal I get python Apple's python 2.3.5.   I'm sure this is
 >> obvious to many, but I'm also sure I'm not the only person who
 >> starts getting uneasy at this point.  So before I go too deep, I
 >> thought I'd ask....
 >>
 >> Is there a "right" way to be using just one (or just two) pythons
 >> and avoid conflicts?

Put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin on your PATH.  The default PATH
includes ONLY Apple-installed components.  This is an "issue" with
any third party software that has a command-line interface, as they
all (should be, anyway) install to /usr/local/bin.

-bob