[IPython-user] Killing a hung program

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Jun 18 00:01:14 CDT 2005

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> Sounds fine, however, sometimes you have a default configuration and
> want just one session to be a little different.  Having a command line
> argument for this case is handy.

Mmh, if it's just one single session, is really typing

[~]> ipython

[...]

In [1]: logstart mylog backup

all that much more work than this: ?

[~]> ipython -log mylog -logmode backup

I'm not sure, especially given that logstart can be typed at any time during a
session, and it retroactively logs the entire session history.  So you don't
have to remember to do it at input line 1, you are free to want logging any
time and can activate it at that point.

Honestly, I'm not convinced of the need for yet another command-line switch
here.  I should also admit that since each command line option has to be
manually documented in 3 places: the usage __doc__, the manpage and the
HTML/PDF user's manual, I tend to drag my feet on adding new ones.  I haven't
really figured out a nice way to automate doc generation from a single set of
sources for these flags...