[IPython-user] "Bus error" on Mac OS X

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Wed Jun 29 11:32:51 CDT 2005

On Jun 29, 2005, at 09:27 , Fernando Perez wrote:

> Hans Fangohr wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have installed Python 2.3.5 using fink, and then installed
>> ipython-0.6.15 using that. When executing ipython (from /sw/bin/
>> ipython),
>> it seems to start okay. However, entering any command such as "1
>> +1" or
>> "import math"  results in a short delay and then a "Bus error"
>> message.
>> Any ideas what this could be and how to debug this further?
>>

> wow, not the foggiest.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what a 'bus
> error' is? I've never seen that message on a linux box.

Generally, "Bus Error" is a catch-all term for "some sort of memory
access problem".  Depending on the platform you are running on, it
can mean, e.g., an access (usually by pointer) to non-existent
memory; overwriting stack or other memory; cosmic rays; ...

It us usually, but not always, associated with a bug in the program;
it can also show up a problem with the hardware (e.g., bad memory),
but that is less likely.  If you see lots of these, across a bunch of
different programs, then hardware is suspect.  Otherwise, blame the
programmer :-}

Cheers,

Justin

--