[IPython-user] "Bus error" on Mac OS X

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 29 11:56:33 CDT 2005

Justin C. Walker wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2005, at 09:27 , Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>Hans Fangohr wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I have installed Python 2.3.5 using fink, and then installed
>>>ipython-0.6.15 using that. When executing ipython (from /sw/bin/
>>>ipython),
>>>it seems to start okay. However, entering any command such as "1
>>>+1" or
>>>"import math"  results in a short delay and then a "Bus error"
>>>message.
>>>Any ideas what this could be and how to debug this further?
>>>

>>wow, not the foggiest.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what a 'bus
>>error' is? I've never seen that message on a linux box.
>

> Generally, "Bus Error" is a catch-all term for "some sort of memory
> access problem".  Depending on the platform you are running on, it
> can mean, e.g., an access (usually by pointer) to non-existent
> memory; overwriting stack or other memory; cosmic rays; ...

Got it, thanks.

> It us usually, but not always, associated with a bug in the program;
> it can also show up a problem with the hardware (e.g., bad memory),
> but that is less likely.  If you see lots of these, across a bunch of
> different programs, then hardware is suspect.  Otherwise, blame the
> programmer :-}

In this case, then we can blame some other programmer that's not me :)  I say
that just because ipython is pure python code, with no manual memory
management.  So all low-level access is actually done by the CPython VM.  I
wonder if Hans is loading any C extensions himself  (matplotlib, vtk, ...?)
which could be segfaulting.  Barring that, I'd worry about a miscompiled
CPython...

Sorry, but it seems on this one, it can't be ipython itself (though obviously
an ipython profile can load extension code: check with a naked profile to test
for this).