[IPython-user] segmentation fault problem

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 30 14:01:59 CDT 2005

Ogz wrote:
> I have already installed the ipython 0.6.15 from the Debian testing
> depots. I had installed python2.3-ipython also. None of the working.
>
> $ipython
> [1]?
> segmentation fault
>
> no command is working. It lways give the same error and exit from the
> ipython interactive shell to my prompt.
>
> I will be happy if you help.

This is very strange: ipython is pure python code, with no C extensions AT
ALL.  This means that any segfault induced by ipython in reality points to a
problem with the underlying python VM.  Here are a few things you can try:

- remove or rename the ~/.ipython directory, to make sure you start with an
empty profile which is not loading any hidden extensions.

- try the following at a system prompt:

python -c 'import IPython'

That should simply return silently, if all is OK.

- Next, try this:

$ python
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)
[GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)] on linux2
 >>> import IPython
 >>> IPython.Shell.start().mainloop()

This should manually start an ipython instance.  Post an actual screen grab of
what you get, it may give me some ideas.

Best,