[IPython-user] segmentation fault problem

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 30 14:13:29 CDT 2005

Ogz wrote:

> Python 2.3.5 (#2, May 29 2005, 00:34:43)
>
> IPython 0.6.15 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
> %magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
> help    -> Python's own help system.
> object? -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.
>
> In [1]: ?
> Segmentation fault

Strange, very strange.  What is your PAGER environment variable set to?  Use:

echo $PAGER

to display it.  The ? command calls a system pager, I wonder if that's
triggering a segfault.

Can you try to issue a few simple commands in ipython, NOT using the ?
operator?  Something like:

In [1]: 1+1
Out[1]: 2

In [2]: print 'hello'
hello

In [3]: range(2)
Out[3]: [0, 1]

In [4]: import inspect

And let me know (copy/paste your screengrabs) what you get.