[IPython-user] Problems with ipython.el

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 17 15:37:13 CST 2005

Yann Le Du wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>Sorry about this folks, it's a little subtle bug that crept in and was
>>tracked down by an enterprising new user.  You should be able to use 0.6.12
>>if you set your prompt strings to have an explicit space at the end, in
>>~/.ipython/ipythonrc.  For example, mine read:
>>
>>prompt_in1 'In [\#]: '
>>prompt_in2 '   .\D.: '
>>prompt_out 'Out[\#]: '
>>
>>That single missing space is confusing the lisp regexp which identifies that
>>the prompt came back.
>>
>>Let me know if this helps, please.
>

> Yes, thanks, it works fine now !

Great.  I wonder if Alex (or another elisp expert) is willing to modify the
regexp in ipython.el to make it a bit more robust against such problems.  In
principle, it should be possible for users to have (or not) spaces at the end
of their prompts.  I'm not 100% comfortable with emacs regexps (I think they
are a bit different from the perl/python ones I know), but it should be a
simple change.

At any rate, the CVS code has now the corrected prompts everywhere, so most
people should be OK.  I'd just like to make the emacs support a bit more
robust, if possible.

Best,