[IPython-user] User having problems with jedit on OSX

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sat Mar 19 14:17:53 CST 2005

Hi all,

I'm sending this to the list in case anyone has a better idea than me (no OSX
machine to test on right now), and also so it gets archived for future
reference if someone else has the same problem.

Jon is having problems with ipython trying to execute immediately the file
he's trying to edit, so he doesn't get a chance to change anything.  I suspect
that the problem is that the OSX 'open' command returns immediately, and
that's what IPython uses to check when to execute the code.  So ipython things
jedit is finished instantly, and doesn't give him a chance to actually do
anything to the file.

Is there anyway to have the open call not return right away?  Or can one under
OSX set $EDITOR directly to /Applications/jEdit 4.2/jEdit.app and have it work
normally (the spaces in that path worry me)?

Another option would be to write a custom editor hook which checks on the
process id with a wait(), the subprocess module could be used for that.  The
editor hook can be customized as indicated in IPython/hooks.py.

I hope some of this helps, Jon.

Regards,