[IPython-user] OSX tab completion

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:43:58 CST 2005

Chu wrote:
> When I do tab completion for anything, I get an extra space at the end.
>
> eg:
> In [1]: import datetime
> In [2]: datetime<blank space> .
> In [7]: cd /
> /
> In [8]: cd usr/<blank space>local
>
> This extra space pretty much takes away the convenience/speed of tab
> completion. I noticed someone had asked a similar question last month
> but no resolution. I am so hooked to this can't work without tab
> completion.
>
> I think this has to do with the readline module as similar behavior
> happens when I use tab completion in python interpreter.

This is the killer: since the problem is in the underlying readline, there is
nothing I can do on the ipython side to help.  It seems to me that you should
try to track this as an OSX-specific python bug (things are OK under linux).
That is, unless one of our OSX users can offer a solution, which would be great.

best,