[IPython-user] startup home or working directory question on WinXP

D Brown dbrown2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 13:21:39 CDT 2005

I have had problems on differnt Win machines with ipython
instalation complaining about it's home directory.  Our
systems have some sort of automount of a network drive
during login. It seems that this is being set as some kind
of "home" directory.  I think ipython tries to use this
mapped drive (H:) during startup and possibly for init
files and it somtimes fails since it is not always
available.  I believe the actual ipython install location
is in the C:\python23 directory and the installer seems to
find the python installation.  It's when ipython takes over
that the problem shows up.

Every time I start ipython I get this message:

Welcome to IPython. I will try to create a personal
configuration directory
where you can customize many aspects of IPython's
functionality in:

H:\_ipython
WARNING:

There was a problem with the installation:
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'H:\\_ipython'
Try to correct it or contact the developers if you think
it's a bug.
IPython will proceed with builtin defaults.
Please press <RETURN> to start IPython.

Can anyone explain what ipython might be doing here and if
there is a way to explicitly set the startup path?  Where
do ipython init files normally go? Any general hints on
what Windows is doing would also be helpful.  I realize
this is an issue with my local setup but  others might run
across this occasionally.

- David

Yahoo! Mail