[IPython-user] remapping ctrl-$ away from %Quit

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu May 5 18:33:35 CDT 2005

Christopher Hart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This seems trivial, but I can't find a solution.
>
> How can I make it so ctrl-$ does not exit from ipython without
> confirming.  Since I set readline to be in vi-mode, I'm frequently
> reaching for $ to move to the end of the line, and I apparently I often
> also hit ctrl when I hit shift.
>
> In my ipyhthonrc file confirm_exit is set to 1, and if I type ctrl-D,
> I'm greeted with the confirmation prompt, but if I hit ctrl-$,  the
> @Quit magic function is called and I'm back at the shell.
>
> I'm not sure exactly when this new feature came into ipython, but its
> present in the standard debian package version 0.6.12-4.

Sorry, but with my extremely limited vi knowledge, I don't see this problem.
I managed to get ipython in readline/vi mode, and by poking around my keyboard
like a monkey eventually $ worked as an EOL character.  I thenk tried both
with and without ctrl, and it never exited.  I certainly didn't add anything
explicit in ipython to cause this, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what may be
happening, and helpless since I can't even reproduce the problem.

Best,