[IPython-user] remapping ctrl-$ away from %Quit

Christopher Hart hart at caltech.edu
Thu May 5 19:03:13 CDT 2005

> > This seems trivial, but I can't find a solution.
> >
> > How can I make it so ctrl-$ does not exit from ipython without
> > confirming.  Since I set readline to be in vi-mode, I'm frequently
> > reaching for $ to move to the end of the line, and I apparently I often
> > also hit ctrl when I hit shift.
> >
> > In my ipyhthonrc file confirm_exit is set to 1, and if I type ctrl-D,
> > I'm greeted with the confirmation prompt, but if I hit ctrl-$,  the
> > @Quit magic function is called and I'm back at the shell.
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly when this new feature came into ipython, but its
> > present in the standard debian package version 0.6.12-4.
>
> Sorry, but with my extremely limited vi knowledge, I don't see this problem.
> I managed to get ipython in readline/vi mode, and by poking around my keyboard
> like a monkey eventually $ worked as an EOL character.  I thenk tried both
> with and without ctrl, and it never exited.  I certainly didn't add anything
> explicit in ipython to cause this, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what may be
> happening, and helpless since I can't even reproduce the problem.

OK.  From your response I gathered that the exit on ctrl-$ must be
something other than ipython - since it doesn't exit for you.   Turns
out, for me, ctrl-$ exits from the the standard python interpreter as
well.   This must be an artifact of some other package that I upgraded.
So you're right it doesn't seem to be ipython related.

I still wish I knew what it was.

thanks for the help.

 chris