[IPython-user] more on edit magic problem

danny shevitz danny_shevitz at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 17:37:32 CDT 2005

I have a guess as to what is going on with my edit magic not working.
Remember I am on a windoze box.

After I installed ipython I noticed a weird behavior I didn't think
anything about. In a command prompt (not ipython) ctrl-z no longer
works to raise SystemExit. Ctrl-z doesn't get me out of ipython either,
BTW. So in order to get out of an interactive session I have to
explicitly raise SystemExit. Well today, I was playing around and it
turns out that ctrl-d works like it does on *nix. In other words,
ctrl-d acts like the EOF character, not ctrl-z. I think, but can't be
sure that when I installed ipython, somehow I got mapped over to *nix
style keybindings. I have absolutely no idea how or where this could
have happened, nor how to fix this.

My current theory with the magic edit not working is that TextPad puts
the normal EOF character at the end of the temp file, but the python
interpreter is not interpreting it correctly.

I have reinstalled python 2.3.5 and that didn't solve the problem.

Hey, it just occured to me, I installed readline at the same time as
ipython to make it work. Is there any chance that screwed me up?

thanks,
Danny

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/