[IPython-user] the edit magic saga continues...

danny shevitz danny_shevitz at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 12:18:18 CDT 2005

So after stepping through the code, magic edit was working. Then it
stopped working again. I have debugged some more and have further
trapped the problem. What seems to be the problem is that in
hooks.editor the
os.system call (line 72) is not waiting for the editor to close the
process before returning. In other words os.system(editor)is returning
immediately, before the editor is closed, so I always get empty text
returned. Any changes to the temp file are never recorded.

Any ideas how to proceed from here...

thanks,
Danny