[IPython-user] .py file stuck open?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu May 19 01:07:58 CDT 2005

D Brown wrote:
> --- Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
>>D Brown wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm seeing a problem using ipython where my .py source
>>
>>file
>>
>>>cannot be saved after I get a runtime error.
>

>>The first thing I'd try is to see whether using a plain
>>execfile('yourfile.py') causes the same behavior.  If it
>>does, I'm afraid it
>>won't be easy for me to help there, unless you can find a
>>flag or trick to
>>cure the problem manually...
>

> Here's a little more info after some testing:
>
> My python script is calling os.system() and blocking for
> about 20 seconds as the external program runs.  When using
> ipython "run" I find I cannot save the .py file during the
> 20 sec.  However, when using "execfile()" I can save the
> .py file during the program operation.  So it seems to be
> that run is having some effect on the file that execfile()
> does not, even without an error.  Of course when the script
> completes the .py can be saved again in either case.

Let's try the fix I just posted first, as I'm pretty sure I did find a stray
open file problem there.  If that doesn't work, we'll have to think harder.

By the way, are you subscribed to the list under this email adddress?  Your
last 2 messages to the list have bounced (I'm getting only your direct ones).
  If you originally subscribed from a different email, you'll need to use this
one, as the list blocks non-subscriber posts (too much spam).

best,