[IPython-user] Windows keybinding for readline?

Bas wegwerp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:54:59 CST 2005

Hi group,

I am a a long time matlab user on windows I found it time to look for something
new. I did look around a bit, and for me scipy+matplotlib+ipython looks
promising in the long term.

I did install IPython according to the manual and everything seems to work. The
only problem for me is the readline interface, which makes my head spin. I have
no experience at all with vi or emacs or whatever you guys use on unix, and i
have no plans on learning any of these.

The obvious question (probably asked before): is it possible to modify readline
to behave more like the windows standard. Things like shift+home to make a
selection till the beginning of the line, control+X or shift+del for cut,
control+left to move a word left. The more it looks like the matlab interface
the better for me. Is this possible by just tweaking some configuration file, or
would this require a complete rewrite of readline? From what I read the copying
behavior is totally different, so expect some problems with that.

Cheers,
Bas