[IPython-user] ipython on windows

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 5 16:07:09 CDT 2005

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Taylor wrote:

> was wondering if anyone has any tips on using ipython for windows in
> terms of a better shell environment, configuring the editor, etc.
>
> i wondered if it was possible to use ipython as the shell in the
> standard IDLE with its editor as the ipython editor.
>
> while i am not a huge fan of IDLE on its own, i thought that it at least
> looked better than the default windows shell used by the default install
> of ipython.

Sorry if I can't offer any advice, as I don't use win32 myself.  At scipy'05 I
did help Travis set it up on his win32 laptop, and I noticed one could tweak
the colors/fonts/window size for the shell window.  Also note that ipython
honors the $EDITOR variable, and you can even write (it's very easy, and I can
point you to details if you need) your own editor starter function if you want
finer control over editor interaction.

As far as making ipython the internal IDLE shell, that can be hacked but is
currently not really a workable solution.  IPython still makes too many
assumptions about stdin/out which clash with living inside a Tk GUI.  Note
however that the separation into a kernel which is happening for both the
parallel and the notebook projects will make such a thing cleanly possible in
the future.

Regards,