[IPython-user] python vs. ipython

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Tue Oct 25 07:48:02 CDT 2005

A few months ago Johann Cohen Tanugi was asking the list about his problems
parsing the command line options after the filename on an ipython shell command
viz.

 	ipython -i AngDistSampler.py -k 62.5 --draw

to which Fernando's reply was to use

 	ipython
 	>>> run AngDistSampler.py -k 62.5 --draw

instead.   I'm struggling with the same concept, in converting
some classic python work of this nature into ipython and giving
then control to ipython, i.e. the user.

The man page clearly suggests that with
 	ipython [options] files...
the command line option handling is very different from that
in python
 	python [options] script [arguments]

However, like Johann I still a little opaque how i should convert
my typical python examples into ipython. Most of mine do some
kind of
 	python -i script options_for_script

- peter