[IPython-user] os.startfile -> infinite loop

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 1 12:25:44 CDT 2005

Hi Tom,

Tom Popovich wrote:
> tell him to use subprocess.
>
> python has un-teen different ways to do process manipulation (due to
> win/mac/*nix differences) that is now hidden in subprocess.
>
> I'll try to post that info to the list later today.

Thanks, but unfortunately:

planck[roadshow]> python -c 'import subprocess'
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named subprocess

Additionally, I don't think that solves the problem: subprocess starts a _new_
python process, while the whole point of %run (and execfile) is to run a
python script within the same python process, so that common things (such as
sys.modules) are shared.  So unless I'm missing something (even ignoring the
2.4 issue), subprocess is not the solution here.

Regards,