[IPython-user] Re: os.startfile -> infinite loop

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 1 12:54:20 CDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>>Oops, I forgot to finish that: the above is because subprocess appeared
>>in python 2.4, while ipython supports 2.2 and 2.3 users.
>

> FYI, subprocess.py can be dropped in as-is for 2.3 at least. It might
> also be compatible 2.2, but I've never checked.
>
> I think Tom's suggestion to use subprocess might be for Ryan to replace
> os.startfile() in the script rather than you to replace %run.

Ah, then I misunderstood it, thanks for the clarification.  And in fact I
suddenly realized that I _won't_ be able to debug
Ryan's problem, since os.startfile() is a win32-specific function.

If your interpretation is correct, that may be a viable solution for Ryan.  As
long as he's using 2.4 on _his_ machine, it doesn't matter that ipython is
2.2-compatible, he can use all the 2.4 features he wants.

Thanks!