[IPython-user] Re: os.startfile -> infinite loop

Ryan Krauss ryanfedora at comcast.net
Thu Sep 1 22:07:38 CDT 2005

Unfortunately as a win32 scipy user, I am kind of stuck with 2.3 for
now.  I don't have the microsoft compiler, so I can't go to 2.4 and
build from source.  (Every time the 2.4 win32 question comes up on the
SciPy list it seems like the answer is not yet).

So what would I need to do to get subprocess working in 2.3?  The main
thing I need to do is open a file without waiting for any return.  The
problem with popen is that python won't do anything else until I close
the dvi viewer and opening and closing the viewer takes extra time so I
would prefer not to do it.

Is subprocess the best way to go for starting a process and not waiting
for it to return?  The subprocess docs make it sound like it waits for
the process to end.

The weird thing about all of this is that not all of my win32 machines
have this problem and I think they are all identical (obviously
something is different).

I am using os.startfile because is was the only way I could find to
start a process and not wait for its return.

Ryan