[IPython-user] Extreme Ipython frustration blues....

Rob Marino robfull at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 10:51:04 CDT 2005

 Hi all.

My first post.

I'm desperately trying to install/use Ipython on win xp. I've followed the
installation instructions to the letter, I *cannot* get it to run. I've
installed ctypes,breadline and all other necessary packages. Basically, I
don't want too much hassle with this at this point as I have 22 zillion
other things to do and so while frantically multitasking would like to
'play' somewhat with the ipython interpreter to see if it would be suitable
for some interaction I have in mind with twisted. Six million dollar
question: How the f@$%^k do you get the beast to run? Obviously I'm either
not grasping something extremely fundamental or there's a flaw I know
nothing about in the library. For example typing 'ipython' at the command
prompt in win xp after install accomplishes precisely nothing...what dumb
thing am I doing wrong ? I'm very frustrated by this...

Starting and running the Python interpreter generates the following ...

Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
>>> import IPython
>>> IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop(sys_exit=1) <<<<<<========dug up in a
wiki somewhere
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "C:\Program Files\Python24\Lib\site-packages\IPython\Shell.py", line
54, in __init__
shell_class=shell_class)
File "C:\Program Files\Python24\Lib\site-packages\IPython\ipmaker.py", line
85, in make_IPython
IP = shell_class('__IP',user_ns=user_ns,**kw)
File "C:\Program Files\Python24\Lib\site-packages\IPython\iplib.py", line
707, in __init__
self.dir_stack = [os.getcwd().replace(self.home_dir,'~')]
TypeError: expected a character buffer object
>>> import IPython
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: __import__ not found
>>> IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop(sys_exit=1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'IPython' is not defined
>>> impoTypeError: expected a character buffer object....

....also: I need to install Ipython on a box with a Latin2 keyboard. This
generates even more interesting problems.....

*Help anyone please?*

Thanks

Rob M.