[IPython-user] Bus error

Michael Broe mbroe at columbus.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 10:55:39 CDT 2006

If I have partially (or completely) entered a command onto a line,
then hit the up arrow, I cannot scroll back through history, and
worse, if I hit up twice, or hit up then down, I get a bus error and
am ejected from ipython. In the following, I type in "print range"
then hit the up arrow twice:

~ $ ipython
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Apr  7 2006, 10:54:33)

IPython 0.7.1.fix1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: print rangeBus error
~ $ ipython

That "ipython" after the last prompt is not typed in by me, it is
accessed in the bash histroy by the second "up" I send. If I do "up"
then "down", I'm dumped out to a bare prompt ~ $.

Is this peculiar to my installation (I'm using the latest MacPython)?
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mike