[IPython-user] Bus error

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 12 12:17:32 CDT 2006

Any chance your version of readline is 5.1, without the patches?

I had this problem when using a gnu readline library (v5.1) that I
had built from source. I solved it by applying the patches for
readline 5.1 and rebuilding.

Your best bet to isolate this is to run python under GDB.
gdb python
run
 >>> import IPython
 >>> IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop(sys_exit=1)
In [1]: foo[up arrow]
(gdb catches the bus error)
backtrace

and then look to see what code is executing at the top of the
backtrace. I bet it's readline.

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine